Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Re-Entry

There is a book somewhere in my house, maybe in one of the new baskets that I bought in a feeble attempt to organize my house. The book is on loan from some of our favorite people- Brian and Andrea Mann- folks who lived in Sweden as missionaries for 3 years. The book is about coming back home after a mission trip- short or long- what to expect, etc. I don't know if it quite covers all that we've encountered upon coming home though- from the immediate death of both our refrigerator and disposal, to my own father's literal near death experience to...well the rest of it.

But here is what's amazing. And here is what we have learned in Budapest. God is in the middle of it. God is doing something. God has and will provide and we have no doubt. We want to be a part of what He is doing even if it means a bump in the road. Or a crater. Whatever it is, He is in it and personally I am kind of giddy about seeing what He is up to.

I cut my hair off today. Well not completely but quite short. 10 inches shorter! When we came back from Budapest it just felt like nothing really fit. Our furniture, our clothes (maybe that was the Hungarian food), my hair, etc... We became different people in those 3 months. We've truly been changed.

I had a great talk with Melissa Brown today, who is Grace's missions director, and in her no nonsense way she framed it perfectly. She said "You are convicted, you are being called to the mission field, and the enemy doesn't like it." Our hearts have been completely broken for Hungary, Hungarians and the city of Budapest itself. For different reasons but with equal seismic consequences. Our hearts grew to include this tragically beautiful country and it's proud/sentimental people-- but the swelling could not be contained resulting in a fissure, a true break. Never to be the same again.

All the while we were there I kept saying to people, who would ask if we'd come back, "Well God would have to really do something, really open a door, make it obvious, because we really love our life in Houston." Perhaps that is what is truly happening. Who knows. All I know is that in Budapest life was in color. Brilliant, vibrant, heart breaking color. Back in Houston, we are experiencing black and white. We love Houston still, but it's just...different. I just pray we have the guts to follow where He is leading. To discern and follow.

Our friend Dani had a t-shirt last summer that on the front said, "Send me." On the back it said "I'll go."

Love y'all,

Cameron

No comments: