Friday, August 29, 2008

Normal Life, Sort of

Matt and Sydney and I went to "Discovery Green" today, an incredible new city park in downtown Houston. It is like being in an exclusive country club designed by brilliant, modern architects-- with a Japanese flair. The parking meters are solar powered. The to- go bags at the cafe are biodegradeable. It's 21st century fun.

It is amazing for kids. The playground is literally a work of art- a "mist tree" -- a giant metal tree that constantly mists cold water, cools kids and parents alike on a hot day. Sydney ran around in the "fountains" for a couple of hours and had a blast. 100 water jets are randomly spread out over a big stretch of granite, and erupt in sprays of water at different times and at different levels. The kids have fun trying to follow the patterns.

We had a really good day, except for my occasional crappy attitude which is creeping out alot. My poor husband is getting the brunt of it. And my mother. Apparently I was short with her on the phone today, and of course was totally oblivious. I have no idea what my problem is accept for fatigue. But that's not an excuse and it's not fair to them. Mom, if you're reading I am sorry and I love you. Things have been rough of course, as everyone knows by now, but there is definitely hope on the horizon as far as Matt's job goes. He has so much to offer and is so passionate about ministry, I can't wait to see what God does with him next. But, that doesn't mean this isn't still a rough patch. As is evidenced by the fact that my dining room was just turned into a recording studio- as Matt moved all his gear out of the office. It is what it is. We always eat in the kitchen anyway. :-)


Speaking of ministry - we are starting a group that will meet every Thursday at Brasil's in Montrose. We think it's going to be something like "Theology on Tap" with a political bent for the Fall. Some friends at Grace are on board as well as friends from all over the city. I am hoping it will just be a gathering, not of any exclusive church, but all inclusive, where people can come, eat, hear scriptures, discuss current events, and build community. And hopefully, it will spill over to the people around us. Outreach in a way. I am committed to the idea that we cannot expect people to come to the Church, we need to bring the Church to them.

Tomorrow I am going to upload pictures from Sydney's birthday party at my mom's in New York. And hopefully take a few more....Bare with us as we get our sea legs in this new season.

Love and Blessings,
Cameron

No comments: