Saturday, September 27, 2008

Same Kind of Different

Went to a talk tonight at Second Baptist given by the author's of a book about how relationships built on the love of Christ can transform lives, marriages, families and cities.

I hadn't read the book, I will, but right now the book burning a whole in my nightstand is my bible. I have, we have really been getting the wind knocked out of us pretty consistently since we got back from Budapest. Matt lost his job, my father nearly died, etc. Those things I have watched God redeem, especially my Dad's illness. I even swaggered home after spending 4 days with him, thinking "Ha, devil, nice try!" I thought surely all this is spiritual attack we are coming under because of what we were doing in Budapest. I guess I didn't think these things were gonna keep piling up. The Hurricane of course and now our neighbor is sending nasty and threatening emails to me about a wall she claims is mine, that my deed says otherwise. The wall of course is deteriorating and needs several thousand dollars of repair. This is a really good opportunity for me to love my neighbor with the love of Christ, right? Not to react and want to knock her out- I should be praying for her as she insults, accuses and berates me.

Well you can guess I haven't been doing that. And I feel like all this stuff - the traveling, constant traveling- the job stuff- has displaced me from a praying, talking, learning accountable community.

One of the author's of "Same Kind of Different as Me" said tonight that when he and Denver (the co-author, former homeless man) began being invited to bible studies to tell their story- Denver asked, "Do all white people have a bible study?" He said, "When they start a Bible Doing group I'll go." As profound as that is, I have been "doing" alot and studying way to little. I confess it, hold me accountable. I need to participate in a bible study, not lead one.

This talk tonight confirmed for me that ministry is about relationships. But the relationship at the core of my ministry is being neglected- it's in the pages of that pocket bible with my name engraved on the cover.

What I do logically surmise, and I may be wrong here, is that the door to Budapest is open. Not that God is kicking us out of Houston - but he's not allowing us to get too comfortable here. That is for sure.

2 comments:

Cameron House said...

They came here as well, but I didn't learn of it in time. Here's a question for you that I have been working on: what about the work God puts in our life that we are not good at? I know I am, and I know you are, very good at mission work-- it is the least we can do for Him. But what about the work in your life you suck at? That gets no earthly praise and admiration, no attention, it is just me and Him. This is where I find myself, and I see similarities in your post.

Cameron Dezen Hammon said...

You can be sure that work is dear to His heart. No earthly praise, no admiration. Yup. He's way into that. It's kinda like "Who do YOU say I am?" When he asked the disciples that question. What Matters is what God thinks not what Man thinks. And being good at something has nothing to do with God. He uses the weak, the imperfect, the ragamuffins. If you are one or all you are in good company. Jesus was an everyday dude, not a prince in robes and jewels. God is into that kind of thing. Humility: It's what's for dinner!