Thursday, September 11, 2008

Eek & some potential heresy but here goes

Please do pray for us because this storm is about the size of Texas itself. I keep going back and forth about whether or not to get up at the crack and drive to College Station to stay with my aunt and uncle. Trouble is it's not the best situation for our cat, Steve, because my aunt is allergic and he would have to kinda stay in the garage or somewhere. Hmmm. I think that could be really stressful but I also think it may be better than being in the house when a hurricane hits. I am without a clue as to what to do.

I was struck by something I read last night in The Shack. Jesus is talking to Mack and explaining to him why he doesn't trust God. Jesus says something like "it's because you don't believe we are good". We or me- not sure which "he" meant. God is portrayed in the book as three distinct people- the Trinity. When I was pregnant with Sydney I went through a particularly dark week where some tests had indicated that something "may" be wrong with her. Without a doubt I can say that was the hardest thing I had ever been through at that point. All my crippling fears showed up and insisted on staying for dinner..and breakfast...and lunch...and dinner...for about a week. I went to see my friend Patsy over at the Houston Vineyard for prayer. She gave me Psalm 139- "you are fearfully and wonderfully made"- and asked me if I believed that God is good. I guess I had assumed I believed that but I really didn't. I lived with a sense of anticipation of the hammer coming down. Of punishment. Of some kind of lesson I'd have to learn. Not consciously, but unconsciously. It was so much a part of my thought life that I didn't even know it was there. It wasn't until she told me that morning, that God is Good, did I really think it could be possible for me to believe that.

So that brings us to Ike, or Eeeek as I would prefer to call it. Are hurricanes a part of the Fall? I mean the thing in itself with all it's strength and fury could be seen as quite beautiful- something God may have created. But perhaps the wickedness of how we humans have stewarded his good creation - pollution, global warming, etc- has resulted in turning the majestic thing that may have been intended to act as some kind of oceanic scrub brush- into the monster that it is.

Just a thought.

Please pray for total peace and security for Sydney. My biggest prayer is that she will not be afraid. She's been really cranky since we got home from Budapest and I think she is just mad because life has been so unpredictable- all the travel- new year- Daddy's job thing, new school, mommy's job thing, etc. She's probably just overwhelmed. And two. There's that of course. Nonetheless we covet your prayers and know that you friends in Houston- we are praying for you too.

Love and blessings,

Cameron

2 comments:

C said...

we're staying. let us know if you need anything (whether you stay or go). the storm will be windy, but i think loss of power will probably be the worst we'll see in our 'hood.

hugs, prayers, and love!
claudia & david

Cameron House said...

we're not allergic
to cats in Abilene