Monday, December 1, 2008

The Rabbit Room


Perhaps it's fitting that I should stumble across The Rabbit Room whilst listening to Andrew Peterson's "Labor of Love" 10 million times.

Let me clarify, if I could I would. 10 million times. Yes because it's great. Because it shows "little Mary full of Grace" in such a real way that the Christmas story will never be the same. Yes because I am singing it in front of folks who are a lot better at singing and such than I am- tomorrow. And because I need to make "practice" part of my vocabulary.

That said, back to the Rabbit Room. It is a website proprieted (a word?) by Andrew Peterson, who is the artist/ writer who brought us Behold The Lamb of God. I just read his blog posting about why and what - as far as this Rabbit Room and it inspired me so much I would like to reprint a bit of it here but something terrible is happening with my computer. Basically this site is a forum for writers and artists who have "succumbed the the origin of there inspiration" aka God, to talk, rant, request, deny, and praise. All I've read is AP's own explanation of the name (the room in the local pub where Tolkein, Lewis and the like drank stout and talked shop)- and the intent of the site- "I believe in the role of the artist" - he says.

It's such a touchy subject for me. To which camp do I belong? Am I an artist? Am I a worship leader? Am I an entrepreneur? Am I a missionary? A wife? Mother? And why do I have to pick one? Or even two. Or three. I have struggled with this so long. I never really have ever fully fit in with one camp or the other. Maybe I travel between worlds and that's ok.

Without a doubt I agree with Peterson, I believe in the role of the artist. But I am not sure if, or what, I believe about my role as an artist. It's a conundrum. Frankly my own creations are limited to this blog and the smattering of songs I've had time to write in between diaper changes, trips to Thailand, my job at Grace (which itself is quite duplicitous) and seminary. The latter deserves a post-of-explanation all it's own.

At risk of further delving into "Are you there God it's me Cameron" ruminations, I will change the subject and offer a massive praise report and a massive prayer request.

Speaking of Thailand. There are over 100,000 people stranded at the Bangkok airport. Some of them I may know. And none of them are me. Or Matt. Praise God for that. The rest we needed is the rest we got, even if by the skin of our teeth. Thank You Jesus.

Please pray (and I am pleading with myself to do this) for little Moshe, and all the children who've lost parents to violence, this week in Mumbai, but everyday, somewhere in this crazy, broken world.

Thanks for reading.

Love,
Cameron

No comments: