Tuesday, December 16, 2008

spammers beware & ephiphany 1 and 2

I will personally thrash anyone selling beachside condos or "free internet speed tests" (what the heck is that) who posts a phoney comment on my blog. I will find you and you will be sorry.


Now, onto other business. I've revised my position. My church is really cool and most of the moms - possibly more than half -are working outside the home- and inside of course (our jobs are never done). There really is equal love for whichever you choose and frankly everyone is probably to busy to care that much about what you're doing anyway. Regarding staying home or not. I have no bone to pick on that subject and since we are all on the same page (whatever works best for the family) let's move on.

My bone to pick is with the invisibiliy of post partum depression and the lack of support from within the church community. The unspoken message is "If child bearing and rearing doesn't make you feel like your blissed out on some happy drug- and if you can't stop crying, even 6 months into it- well then you aren't much of a woman, or a Christian". Folks, this twisted inner dialogue is extreme I know, and may only be my own, but I would like to dig a bit and find out what women really think- how many have suffered through it in silence- and why.

When I started talking about it, I was amazed at how many have responded with, "I went through that too," or "I'm going through that now." Personally I was so afraid to admit it to others and to myself that I suffered much longer than I should have. I will do whatever I can to prevent another mom from going through that.

Another epiphany I'd like to record here is that I have realized why my PR hat makes me sometimes gag. When I am PR'ing these days I am doing it for good and worthy things. I work for a church. Everything these people do is selfless and loving, so there is no danger I'm hawking a bum toaster. For me, a former fashion PR person aka bum toaster hawker, I still associate PR'ing with a subtle icky feeling. Even though when these stories get picked up God is glorified- no question, I still feel this vague guilt, for seeking publicity or attention for something that may not be worthy of it. Thing is, it is worthy. Way worthy.

I spent the day in Galveston with one of our members who took $100 of "seed money"- Kingdom Assignment money- and turned it into 2130 new winter coats for the students of Ball High School in Galveston who lost EVERYTHING in Hurrican Ike. She raised $36,000 in 5 weeks, and the kids were just blown away. It was so humbling and moving to see their reaction. Some took a coat to give to a parent or teacher whom they felt needed it more than they did. Even thought it was 38 degrees outside and most of the kids didn't have coats of their own.

I need to get a life.

I have to re-train my thinking; I am not seeking the clients approval or the reporters- I am seeking to use my gifts to get people talking about what God cares about- loving our neighbors, feeding the hungry, caring for the fatherless and the widowed. I have to stop deriving my self worth from how appreciated I feel by my co workers or even how many media hits I secure. I have to repeat to myself like a mantra, "For God to be glorified," so I don't forget it for one second. WHAT AN EPIPHANY! I can't wait to get back to PRing for a great cause tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Love and Coco Puffs,
Cameron

3 comments:

Cameron House said...

As far as postpartum goes, I think it can be as simple or as complicated as the nature/nurture concept. By this I mean, how a woman's body reacts and recovers from the hormonal changes of childbirth depend a lot on where her chemistry started in the first place (nature). If you are a person whose chemistry, you may have discovered in your pre-baby life, causes you to feel unreasonably moody, anxious, angry and/or blue --you might expect that a post-partum experience might be even more challenging.

I am a person who can fit the above description. Whether it has been caused by my nature or nurturing (most likely a combination of both for us all!)I was a person who was already medicating above conditions, and did so through all four pregnancies under the advisement of my ob/gyn. I even raised that dosage as the pregnancy ended, to combat post-partum experiences, and I was released from really suffering at all.

So, in the context of the church, or just the world of "isn't Motherhood GLORIOUS!!!!????" WHY ARE YOU CRYING??

These are not people who A) Have vaginas B)Have this kind of chemistry.

No it is NOT glorious all the time. But it is your hormones, mostly (nature). AND inside your hormones, it is also your feelings of shock, inadequacy, being trapped, being fat, getting screwed, being exhausted, and getting old (nurture or experience).

But unlike those around us that either don't get it or pretend they don't get it -- God totally gets it. God is not the people in the church.

In the worst of those times, God may be the only place to turn. We must never view any situation bad enough as to justify despair.

Cameron Dezen Hammon said...

very interesting. Not despair, but motivation. The church is the bride, however, and we get it wrong most of the time. Redeemed people should live more like redeemed people and less like Stepford wives. I am just as guilty of this as anyone...in my own way.

khartis said...

We're so very blessed to have you on our team - it was amazing to truly see your gifts in action this past week serving God in real and tangible ways! Thankful to be able to serve, learn, and grow alongside you!