Sunday, December 14, 2008

feminism, momism and other myths

I've been batting around some ideas lately about women and their roles, inside and outside the church. 

I've been thinking about writing about my experience with post partum depression and anxiety - in an attempt to start a conversation among Christian women on the subject. The mass media has just gotten around to talking about post partum - thanks to Brooke Shields and the like. But it seems to me that when it come to some issues of gender identity, the culture - if not the prescribed beliefs of the church- is 25 years behind the times.

A book that came out in '04- The Mommy Myth- attempted to address the issue of the pressures of motherhood from a feminist perspective. I think I speak for many gen X'ers- Christians or not-  when I say that though well intentioned and successful on certain fronts- the Feminist movement never got it right. Since it's rocket- like launch in the 60s, to it's asteroidal crash landing- right into  Britney Spears and Martha Stewart- in the 21st century, feminism has been cast as irrelevant and outdated,  along with  flower power and power suits.

But the church, the bride of Christ, shouldn't project the same impossible standards on women. Shouldn't depend on culture to give us our identities and define our roles.  God doesn't love us because we're good at anything- whether it be neurosurgery or motherhood-  does he?

I'm going to be exploring this issue and writing about it on my own...just to see what I can come up with. If you've got an experience to relate I would love to hear about it. I am going to start with my own and my friends (they shall all remain nameless of course). But I am inspired to tell a different sort of story from within the church. A story of the power and potential, pitfalls and struggles, joys and sorrows- of a generation of women trying to live their lives for the Glory of God. And trying to get all the rest of it right too. 

Let me know what you think.

-Cameron






2 comments:

Cameron House said...

Well, ok-- I'll bite.

There is nothing biblical about staying home with your children until they are ready for school (i.e. kindergarten). However, many that do stay home (ok, let's clarify--I don't get a w-2,k? I don't really stay home all that much)
feel pretty good about the whole thing. We are doing the "right" thing? That doesn't mean that we don't very much struggle with meaning and daily gratification in our work. I don't care how great a mom you are, no amount of cute smiles are gonna make up for the endless piles of laundry that sit atop your college degrees and intrinsic talents dealing with adults in the business/real world. And no amount of knowing that a well made sacrifice makes you not feel a little worn down.

Point is..in the context of the church...are we going to ignore that a child is best served spending his/her infant/toddler years with a parent, not in daycare? Does God care about this? Where do we look for guidance?

What I do know is that at the heart of my Christian faith is sacrifice and maturity. At the heart of my desire to not stay home is a lot of things that I could NOT fit into my role as a Christian woman -- that attention-seeking, greedy, materialistic, immature, me!me!me! nature that can torture us all.

But where can we look for answers?

Cameron Dezen Hammon said...

Well said! Preach it sister.