Monday, November 3, 2008

What's at Stake






















I've heard this said alot in regard to tomorrow's election. "Do you know what's at stake?" "Our future is at stake.." and "the most important election of our lifetime." I've heard this over and over again from both sides of the fight. And make no mistake a fight it is. I've wrestled with voting one way and not another, with not voting, with writing someone in...just not sure who. It would be so much easier, or at least it feels that way for me to vote a particular way (ahem, ahem) because my family (or at least some of them) would be pleased with me. I would fit into a particular group at work, at church, among friends. But perhaps for just that reason I resist such a decision.
























This business about what's at stake: here is my point.

I am reading a book about a young boy in Sierra Leone in 1993. One day he is skipping stones and listening to Eric B. & Rakim on cassette tape. The next his family is murdered by "revolutionaries", murdering their country men in the name of freedom from an oppressive government. Weeks later, devastated, wandering and half starved he is drafted into the national army of his country. Barely big enough to carry the AK-47 he is given, he is transformed and trained by revenge to murder on command. He is 12 years old. "Do you know what's at stake?" his commanders would ask him. "Do you want these (insert un printable expletive)'s running your country?"

I bring this up because in other parts of the world, the venomous division that we are only getting a taste of, leads all to often to bloodshed. I was thinking about how in many, many other countries I wouldn't dream of leaving the country just days after an election without my child. In many other places "unrest" follows these sorts of elections and more often than not bloodshed.


The judgements that are passed on either side are so simplistic-- and both naive and cynical. Obama is Hope and McCain will save us. Obama is dangerous and McCain is evil. No matter which adjective goes in front of which name - all these labels are simplistic and sad. Obama will not, can not save you. Neither can McCain. There is only one who can do such a job and He is as utterly unpopular as not voting. This perception that either candidate can represent Jesus is the most ridiculous notion imaginable. Politics cannot save you.

Start with the one. Gary Haugen talks about this so eloquently. If you really want to put your time, money and effort toward something that will change your world, start with your neighbor. Try treating the bus boy at your favorite cafe with the respect of looking him in the eye and asking his name. Roll down your window and talk to the homeless woman panhandling on the corner. Take the money you spend on Starbucks each week and sponsor a child for a month. This will change things, and it's the only kind of change that really matters. It's the one. Caring enough about another human being, for no other reason that they are beloved of the One who created you. And me. And Obama. And McCain.

Fair warning, don't pass judgement on those who might not share your views. Trust God. Put your life in his hands. See where that goes.

And a postscript. Please don't ask me if I've voted, or who I've voted for. I'm voting for Love and for reconciliation and for healing and for redemption. And that's what matters to me. We've all got to put our heads on that pillow each night. Do what you've got to do. That's my vote.

Shalom,
Cameron

5 comments:

Mel Tagliere said...

Amen sister - Well said!

mandy falgout said...

you are awesome! well said, my friend!

Cameron House said...

thank you

Joanna said...

mel said the exact words I was going to.

Kelly Walker said...

Though I am admittedly rooting for "my candidate" I feel like we have to have prayer and confidence that God will work through whoever his people choose!