Thursday, October 30, 2008

Welcome to the Fight











Just got home from the Texas Benefit Dinner for International Justice Mission (ijm.org) and have just now after a few hours processing what we saw and heard...come back down to earth. Sort of. Is it normal to learn about slavery and oppression and feel an overwhelming desire to run headlong into the fight. It's a bizarre sensation. Vibrating like a tuning fork in anticipation of what God is gonna do with us.


My heartbreak for forced prostitution was made complete in Budapest and I was a part of a start up anti trafficking taskforce. Our aim was to get our structure together to attract IJM or something like it. I lined up behind the autograph seekers and practiced "Nice to meet you Mr. Haugen. Please come to Eastern Europe."

Believe it or not he gave me a few names and his email address and told me to write and he would put me in touch with others who have the same idea.

I also talked to one of the IJM staffers who was at the benefit and asked if we could volunteer at their office in Chaing Mai, Thailand, while we are there next week. We exchanged info and she promised to put me in touch with the office. She said the work they do is not "exciting" because after their office was established there, they documented a 90% decline in forced prostitution and so now they mainly do follow up and help victims with citizenship issues.

My mom will be happy to know the extent of our involvement will likely be stuffing envelopes or licking stamps. Which is just fine by me.

Friends and Family please do pray for us while in Thailand. We will be leading worship for a missionary training conference and will be of course leaving Sydney with friends and family :-) Please pray for her peace and comfort as well as travelling mercies for us (read: Houston to Tokyo to Bangkok to Chiang Mai....phew!)

My inspiration is totally renewed and I am so excited for...something. Just not sure what exactly.

Love,
Cameron

No comments: