Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Christmas in August





So...at the studio in Magnolia as the boys work on drums tracks for O Come O Come Emmanuel. I am listening to "Hosea's Wife" on Mr. Seay's fancy headphones. Had a few thoughts to share on this album.

It will rock. It will not be sentimental. It will be joyful and make you want to dance. Many months ago Doug Ferguson asked me if I was listening to a bunch of Christmas albums to get ideas and get in the right mood for the recording. THis is a good and valid question. My answer at the time was "no" - and to some extent still is- but I've been listening to a few different versions of songs we are doing - Wexford Carol and O Come O Come Emmanuel- and I am satisfied that no one has done the record we are doing.

There is an urgency and a thunder to these songs- thanks to Jay Snider playing the heck out of the drum kit and a thousand other percussive things- that I haven't heard before.

It sounds- especially O Come O Come- Hebrew, epic, military, bad (in a MJ "Bad" kinda way). There are shades of me in this recording that I can already recognize, even though we've only got a skeleton recorded. I recognize the skeleton. It's good, really good.

I am interested in Christians digging into their Jewish heritage; celebrating it, owning it, revering it, and learning from it. The story of the Savior's birth is just this sort of story- we're all looking for a nice Jewish boy -ultimately- aren't we? A nice boy born to a nice family, a rocky start for sure, but the start of the greatest story ever told.

Owning it means this- Christmas is not precious, sentimental or for children. It's outrageous, like Fat Tuesday in the French Quarter; it's exhilirating, like a cliff dive; it's earthy and organic, like a big family meal around the table at dusk. These are the colors and flavors I want to experience at Christmas, and I pray this album will help me (and you) do that.

Images and vid to come soon. Thanks for caring, reading and listening.

Love, Cameron

No comments: