Saturday, October 4, 2008

proof that I am real






So I went to this web seminar, a uh, er, web-i-nar... about social networking sites and social media and all this and the very learned man who officiated (way to go Ed) said something like, you must blog off topic occasionally to prove that you are real.

So here goes. I am currently OBSESSED with the MoMa Design Store catalogue (that's Museum of Modern Art for pleb's like me.) I bought this really gorgeous "ghost clock" designed by Yee-Ling Wan in 2005. Quite affordable and it's my very own art-clock. Early Christmas present to self. Art-clock. Yipee. It's amazing how beautiful things can make you feel, well, amazing. Here's where I digress back on topic for a second. There is no doubt that art is divine. In my mind at least. As is science, the universe, the cosmos, etc. The latter which absolutely functions by set terms and conditions but which functions with said myriad terms and conditions nearly perfectly. Designed by a master.

Ok, back to "off topic." I bought a piece of art once before and left it in the house in Pittsburgh I lived in my senior year. That makes me a pretty big looser. It was a giant modern tribal drawing by an artist named Thomas Campbell who I think is quite famous now. I am sure it is probably worth a bundle. Too bad it's in the basement of a house in Pittsburgh. He is quite nutty, the artist, but clearly amazing. I had a friend who owned an art gallery on the lower east side (NY) who sold it to my mom - who gave it to me for my 19th birthday. I think it was $300.

Oh well, perhaps this little clock will start my collecting affordable modern art a-new.

Love,
Cameron

No comments: