Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Jewish Minister





The best part of my time with my Dad in New Jersey was that I got to be Jewish for four days. Well maybe that wasn't the best part but it was certainly a bonus. It's like I wanted to jump up and down and shout "See, I am Jewish! I am! I didn't make it up!" I don't know to whom exactly I would be shouting. Probably myself.

It's amazing what time, distance and un-shared experiences can do to relationships. I figured out that it's been more years since my parents divorced then the entire length of their marriage. My mom said something like "I don't even remember that life." It's almost like, I think for her, that person that was married to my Dad maybe was a different person entirely.

What I think I learned this weekend, besides the incalculable power of an almighty God, is that those two people- my Mom and Dad are quite different people today then they were 18 years ago. And I think they are better people. I think my Dad may just be coming to that place of better- maybe on the inside if not the outside. He is regaining strength and health everyday and it is just astounding to here the change in his voice. We had the best quality time together that we have ever, ever had and I am so grateful for that. We laughed, we cried, we hugged, we told stories, we watched TV, we ate, we planned, we plotted, we reminisced. It was a magical, beautiful time. It was like I rushed in and rescued him from the brink. Which I know I did not do, but God did. When I showed up he was in really bad shape. Skinny, weak, unshaven in a thin bathrobe. His feet, ankles and knees swollen almost beyond recognition. His eyes watery and his mind soft. When I left he was charming every nurse in the place and astounding the doctors with his improvement.

I was able to listen to my Dad tell stories of things he's done that he regrets and I was able to hold his hand or hug him as he grieved those things. I was also able to suggest he make contact with those he can find and make amends. Apologize, forgive- sometimes both when appropriate- but make peace. So beginning with me, then my brother, the entire 4 days were about my Dad making peace with people he loves but has been estranged from for one reason or another. It was absolutely miraculous to see the mantle of grief, anger and bitterness literally lift off of him. Every moment we spent together was a victory. After one particular conversation he had on the phone he told the person, "Don't worry about me, I've got the Jewish Minister here praying for me." And so it is. It took facing my ultimate fears, leaving my comfort zone (i.e., anywhere but the town I grew up in) and throwing myself and the situation on the mercy of the Lord.

I have never ever felt the literal power of God like I did those 4 days. Physically, I have no idea how I got through the whole time- running interference for my Dad, running errand after errand, listening, praying, comforting. I have no idea who that person was but it was not me. It was truly by HIS strength that that time was what it was. Each time I put one foot in front of the other it was by HIS strength. My faith has grown by light years this summer and I rejoice because I know that my God is in the business of redemption- and I have seen it first hand.

Love and Blessings,
Cameron

No comments: