Wednesday, July 7, 2010

pain.is.everywhere.

I'm sitting in the coffeeshop where last week I met a woman, who is now a friend. She told me the story of having, and losing her first child, a son. He was born with a fatal heart condition, and lived only 56 hours. I need to write this, I'm not sure why, to do what I do- to mark these events as having happened. I have no conclusions, except that pain is everywhere. Its sitting next to you in the coffeeshop sipping a cup of french press, looking at a map. It's behind the wheel in the car on your tail. It's there,radiating like a muscle spasm.

What are we going to do? All I can think of is to talk to eachother, to ask eachother about pain- how is it going? how are you feeling? what are you remembering of your beloved mother, husband, friend today?

Death is foreign. It's not supposed to be this way. It's shocking because it's not a part of the original plan. We wait anxiously for the day when all is shalom, when all is restored. And we are playing music, cracking jokes, and cuddling with our loved ones again.

Rest in Christ; Daniel, Barbara, Dan, and Mike.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes m'am...it is. Thanks for the authentic compassion your words evoke. Thanks for the reminder that the pain I am currently experiencing is shared with that of the rest of the world...and that Jesus cares for us all :-)

mandy falgout said...

thanks for these thoughts cameron. i needed to hear it. our housekeeper is experiencing crazy pain due to her mother's death. she is sad and needs restoration and hope. she shared some with me yesterday and i was not sure what to do. i have been praying for her since we had the conversation....thanks again!
love you.