Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas cards

So, confession time. I am horrible at them. I don't even have an address book. I am a last minute, adrenalin junkie who gets the really important stuff done in the nick of time. Well, not all the important stuff but you see where this is going. So writing and mailing out Christmas cards is one of those things I envy other women. The ones who also have an organized sock drawer and who put healthy, gourmet meals on the table each night. They have toddlers who love brussel sprouts and a Dyson.

And customized, glossy Christmas cards that arrive somewhere between the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas eve.

But seriously, what is it about these red and green paper confections that still strike a chord in our world weary hearts?

It's the one piece of mail you are likely to get this year that isn't trying to sell you something, or asking you to pay for something.

Who writes letters anymore? The days of rushing to the mailbox for a love letter are long gone, aren't they? Christmas time is the one time of year we take the time to share our hearts with one another. Granted, a glossy mass produced card is nice. But isn't a handwritten note so much nicer. And if the thought of writing notes to everyone on your list is dizzying, maybe you should have a shorter list. Is it an obligation, or a joy?

Maybe I am just trying to make myself feel better about not getting it together in time.

But, here's a thought from one I received today from a friend who'd asked me to volunteer with her at a local school,"Sharing yourself and your love is the greatest gift you could give these kids." She took the time to write a special note to just me. Just me. That means alot. Alot. So thanks.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: