Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Daring to Dream

Ok, cheesy as it sounds I am daring to dream today.

"Unbelief puts our circumstances between us and God. Faith puts God between us and our circumstances."

I love this quote. And today has been all about this. Must stop editing myself, limiting God, and aw shucks-ing and self protecting when it comes to my art, music, and everything else I do. I need to have the same epiphany with art that I had with publicity at Ball High School in Galveston.

"Here we go again" I said, "Another publicity thing where I am going to get all excited and somebodies gonna be unhappy with some aspect of this and it's going to ruin it for me so I may as well not get excited."

"Excuse me?" said God, "this is not about you, or them, or whose unhappy or what anyone thinks of you or what you do. It's about me. So GET EXCITED."

Then I read this quote above, and then I read "I lift my eyes to you, the one enthroned in Heaven" Psalm 123....and how it's about NOT looking at ourselves or eachother, but looking UP at Him and all the supernatural possibilities in Him.

Matt and I had coffee with one of our favorite artists and people, Robbie Seay. And after Matt was like, "Can anybody really be that cool?" He is so down to earth and so real and he said something that really made me check myself..."I hear 'I'm just a worship leader,' alot, or 'I just want to capture what I've done', rather than looking forward to creating something better than one is...something amazing and inspiring'". I do that. I say that. I protect myself with low expectations and pass it off as piety.

That is SO NOT GOD. My dreams are His dreams. This new record is HIS record and it is going to be better than I am, better than we are. That's my pledge. "It's complicated," Robbie said,"this intersecting of faith and art and business. And it should be. It's ok that it's complicated".

Totally profound for me. I struggle with this and it's ok. Just need to start getting excited and turning it over. It's about Him. I can get excited. It's not for me, or you. It's not so you think I'm talented or humble or spiritual or smart. It's not so I think I'm talented or humble or spiritual or smart. It- the record- IS so that He is celebrated and communicated. Simple really.

My little brother (he's married and 30, can he still be my little brother) is giving his next Damnwells record away for free through paste magazine next week. I think he is experiencing the same thing. When you really let it go, it comes back to you, better than you could have imagined. Funny, isn't it.

No comments: